Families often find in-home care services to be a good short-term solution. When an older adult needs a helping hand or support with personal care, a home care agency can help meet those needs. This support will allow a Dallas or Fort Worth area senior to remain in their own home longer. It can be a good alternative to an assisted living community.
A few of the early concerns families express when we talk with them about this option include worries about how much it will cost and what type of payment options are available.
Cost of In-Home Care in North Texas
There are two broad types of in-home care services:
- Home Care Services: This first type of care is what many families are most familiar with. It is non-medical, personal care designed to provide support with the activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, grooming) and homemaker services. The range for these types of home care services in the Dallas – Fort Worth area is between $16 an hour and $30 an hour. The median is $19.
- Home Health Care: This is another type of in-home care but it is geared toward older adults who need skilled home care services. It might be a nurse to help with wound care or IV therapy. Home health care can also include the support of physical, occupational and speech therapists. These services are often covered by Medicare or private health care insurance.
Paying for Private Duty Home Care in Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas
Non-medical, private duty home care services are typically paid for with a senior’s private funds. But there are several options you should explore in case your aging loved one meets the criteria. They include:
- •Veteran’s Aid & Attendance Benefit for veteran’s who served during a period of war and for their surviving spouse
- Long-term care insurance
- Reverse mortgage if they own their own home
- Local government assistance or financial support from the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS)
Navigating the Maze of Senior Care Options
If you are struggling to determine what type of care best meets the needs of a senior loved one in the DFW area or to find a senior care provider you can feel confident in, let us help. The experienced Senior Living Specialist team has been working with families in north Texas since 2009. Please call us at 214-929-5055 to learn how we provide free advice and guidance to seniors and their families.