There is a lot to understand when you reach the point of considering senior living for yourself, a parent, or a spouse. Trying to understand the level of care or if you require specialized care can be a daunting task if you’ve never had experience with it before. While we believe our experienced staff at Senior Living Specialists can help those living in Texas find the right home for them, we also know many like to do their own research.
In order to make that research easier, we’ve created resources by each city we serve within Texas, to help you better understand what should be considered when you become a caregiver. These pages will provide details like:
- City population and demographic data
- Important landmarks that should be considered when looking at senior living options (location to hospitals, etc.)
- Factors you should consider in relation to that city (i.e. what senior living options are close to particular churches)
- Estimated monthly cost by city
- Data and analysis around the different types of care options
These types of things should be considered and weighed when you look at the different senior living options. If you don’t feel comfortable trying to make this decision on your own, you can contact one of our trusted local experts that are experienced with these cities and can help you make an informed decision. This is a free service for you and your loved one. Senior Living Specialists are compensated by referral fees when a senior moves into a community.
Resources by City
Click on the city you would like to research more senior living information for.
We are constantly updating the content on this page and adding new city pages. If you don’t see your city represented here, please contact us and we will do our best to add it as a resource.
Aside from knowing the different demographics and important assisted living landmarks around the facilities you research, it is also important to remember a few other tips:
- There are several positives and negatives to bringing a parent with you to tour the facilities. If they have physical ailments, you will be able to find out very quickly if a facility will/won’t work as you go on the tour.
- Every loved one will react to assisted living in a different way. There will be some that welcome having to worry less about upkeep and enjoy the new activities available to them. There are others that will be stubborn about the move and create several challenges along the way. You should be prepared for either response.
- Try to do some upfront research or utilize Senior Living Specialists to help make your decision easier. There are well over 50+ different assisted living facilities in Dallas. If your search extends to Fort Worth, that number increases significantly. Trying to figure out what facilities will/won’t work based on health needs, financial aspects, and more can be challenging. If you don’t utilize Senior Living Specialists, we recommend doing as much upfront research as possible to avoid unnecessary tours.
- Learn what kind of lifestyle aspects are important to your loved one. If they enjoy exercise and physical activity, make sure the facilities you are looking at offer those kinds of options. Depending on the loved one, lifestyle and community aspects can play a very big role in choosing the right facility.
Cost of Elderly Care in Texas
Understanding the types of care available and the cost associated with each one can make a big difference in the research process to. We’ve pulled some median annual rates based on a 2015 Genworth Cost of Care Survey for Texas:
- Adult Day Health Care: $9,100
- Assisted Living Facility: $42,540
- Nursing Home (semi-private room): $51,100
- Nursing Home (private room): $68,620
You can see that based on the type of care required, there can be a large variance in the different types of facilities in Texas. You should also note that these averages are median across the entire state of Texas. When you begin to look at individual counties and cities, the price can vary even more (depending on cost of living and other factors).
If you don’t feel comfortable trying to do this on your own, please reach out to us so we can help. Many people don’t realize the stress that comes with this process and having somebody that knows the facilities inside and out within Texas can help. We’re a free service to you so why not give it a try? Contact Senior Living Specialists today and see what options you have.