My parents have both had a variety of health issues over the past few years. While they don’t necessarily require around the clock care, they do need assistance here and there throughout the day and night.
We’ve tried to use home care agencies and it just doesn’t work well. The primary problem is we can’t afford for them to be in my parents’ home all of the time. The intermittent nature of their needs (i.e. using the bathroom in the middle of the night) is such a struggle for us to manage. My wife, my sister and I are running back and forth to their home several times a day. All three of us work full time and it’s beginning to impact our jobs.
This weekend we decided we need to talk with mom and dad about moving to an assisted living community somewhere here in Fort Worth . We would sure appreciate a few “talking points” that might help us convince them of the benefits of making such a move.
We hear stories like yours quite often! The sandwich generation days can indeed be difficult. Assisted living communities are a solution that often helps adult children almost as much as they do the senior.
There are many advantages assisted living placement offers for older adults.
7 Reasons to Move to an Assisted Living Community in Fort Worth
Among the many advantages an assisted living community offers are:
- Safe Environment: Assisted living communities are designed to meet the unique safety needs of older adults. Hallways all have sturdy handrails. Bathrooms have grab bars. Emergency call systems and fire suppression systems are standard features. These features help keep older adults safer and give their adult children peace of mind.
- Around the Clock Support: It sounds like one of your big concerns is having someone nearby when your parents need a helping hand. Assisted living communities have staff on-site 24/7. So if your dad needs help getting to the bathroom at midnight, you won’t have to worry about running over to his house.
- Opportunity for Socialization: Senior living communities offer a variety of life enrichment activities every day. These programs help seniors live meaningful, productive lives at every age.
- Good Nutrition: Preparing healthy meals can be a challenge for seniors. In an assisted living community, nutritious, well-balanced meals are prepared for residents. No more worries about what a parent is or isn’t eating each day.
- Housekeeping and Laundry: Tasks such as vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, and doing the laundry are all standard in an assisted living community. This translates to more free time to enjoy activities and events with friends and family.
- Transportation: Fort Worth area seniors who move to an assisted living community can hang up the keys knowing transportation services are available.
- Wellness Programs: Staying active is much easier at an assisted living community. Most offer senior-friendly fitness classes that range from Chair Yoga to Tai Chi.
The best way to learn more about assisted living communities is to visit in person. Please contact us to learn how we can help you get your search for assisted living started!
Senior Living Specialists is a free service for seniors and their families. We are compensated by a referral fee when a senior moves into a community or care home. Feel free to call us at at 214-929-5055.