If your family has recently come to the conclusion that an aging loved one is no longer safe in their north Texas home, it can be a relief to finally admit it. For many families this acceptance can be a long time coming. But relief may be quickly followed by feelings of confusion and uncertainty. Adult children may not be at all familiar with what an assisted living community is and how to find one a parent will be happy with.
With over 900 different communities in the DFW area to choose from, it’s easy to see why families are overwhelmed. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
Searching for Senior Housing in DFW
- Have a family meeting. While it might be tough to arrange, it’s best to meet in person. If your senior loved one is able, include them in the process. Keeping the lines of communication open is important as you move forward.
- Set a budget. This generation of seniors is known for keeping their financial situation to themselves. It can make it tough for adult children who are trying to determine how much a parent can spend each month on assisted living. But finances are a big part of the decision. You might find it helpful to learn more about the cost of assisted living in Dallas-Fort Worth as you are working on a budget.
- Work with a Senior Care Advisor. With so many options for senior care available in DFW, you will more than likely need expert advice. A senior care advisor can help you by providing insider insight on what residents’ families are saying about the care at communities you might be considering. Since we started our company in 2008, we’ve helped over 2,000 families in north Texas through this transition.
- Schedule In-Person Visits. While it might be tempting to rely on website photos and the advice of friends and family, it is important to get inside every senior living community on your list of possibilities. A personal visit is the very best way to decide whether or not the community is a good fit for the senior you love. Be sure to take good notes and ask questions during your visit.
- Make an Informed Choice. Once you’ve completed your visits, plan to sit down again as a family and include your senior care advisor. They can answer any final questions you have and help you make an informed choice.
We hope these tips help make the transition go more smoothly for your senior loved one and the entire family!
Senior Living Specialists is a free service for seniors and their families. We are compensated by a referral fee when a senior moves into a community or care home. Feel free to call us at at 214-929-5055.