When a family member receives the diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or a similar form of dementia, it can be devastating for them and their loved ones. It’s a position the Senior Living Specialists founder, Paul Markowitz found himself in with his own mother. At the young age of 59, Paul’s mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.
After a long struggle to find a memory care program in north Texas they felt confident in, Paul decided there must be a better way for families to find the care they need. The Senior Living Specialists was created to fill that need.
Since his company was founded, Paul and his team of locally-based care advisors have helped over 2,000 families throughout north Texas find a solution.
The Unique Needs of People with Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s is a progressive disease that slowly robs people of their ability to care for themselves. In the earliest stages of the illness, older adults may be able to safely maintain their independence.
As the disease worsens, however, a variety of concerns make additional support necessary. Common challenges include:
- Memory loss that makes it difficult to cook, drive a car and manage finances
- Vision problems, such as a loss of peripheral vision
- Difficulty using silverware can lead to poor nutrition in a senior living at home alone
- Wandering and getting lost make safety a concern
- Agitation and anxiety become more common and are tough behaviors for families to manage
- Verbal communication skills are lost
Finding a Memory Care Community
Residents in memory care communities benefit from having a program that is designed to meeting their unique needs. This includes:
- Specialty dining programs that utilize adaptive silverware and offer easy-to-eat finger foods
- Caregivers who receive additional training to help them better understand and work with the challenges created by the disease
- Life enrichment opportunities that are designed to help someone with Alzheimer’s have a productive and successful day
- A physical plant with secure doors and windows to prevent the dangers associated with wandering
The Cost of Memory Care in Colleyville
With over 30 memory care programs in the Colleyville area, families have a variety of choices and a wide range of prices. Monthly fees range from $3,800 a month to over $7,000.
With so many options to choose from, it’s important to do your homework before making a decision. That often means seeking the advice of one of our experienced, local senior care advisors. Because we are compensated by a referral fee from the community when a senior moves in, we are able to offer our services at no cost to families.
Let Us Help You in Your Search
Don’t trust your loved one’s care to just anyone. We’ve assisted over 2,000 families in their search to find a solution, and we can help yours too. Call us at 214-929-5055 to get started!
Senior Living Specialists is a free service for seniors and their families. We are compensated by a referral fee when a senior moves into a community or care home.