As any family who is caring for a parent with Alzheimer’s will tell you, managing their safety, health and well-being can be difficult to do at home. Agitation, aggression and wandering all create safety challenges. And the damage the disease does to the body makes it tough in other ways ranging from maintaining good nutrition to sleep disturbances.
It can all add up to family caregivers who are emotionally and physically exhausted. This is where a quality memory care program can offer families a safe solution.
Memory Care in Grapevine
Memory care is a specialized program for adults with Alzheimer’s or dementia. These care communities are typically located in an assisted living community. Some residential care homes in north Texas also offer care for adults with Alzheimer’s or a related form of dementia.
A dedicated memory care program offers many benefits including:
- Dedicated Caregivers: When an adult has memory loss, having specialty trained caregivers is important. Memory care team members receive additional training to teach them how to support each resident’s independence while still keeping them safe. Caregivers also learn various techniques to help them communicate with residents who have lost their verbal skills.
- Thoughtfully Designed Environment: Memory care programs are carefully and thoughtfully designed to promote security and decrease agitation. An alarm system is typically used to alert staff if a resident attempts to wander. Visual cues including color-coded hallways and signs that use images in place of words help residents find their way around. Noise is kept to a minimum to promote a peaceful setting that minimizes anxiety and agitation.
- Dining Services: Seniors with Alzheimer’s often struggle with vision problems and difficulty manipulating traditional silverware. It can lead to poor nutrition. Memory care dining programs understand these challenges and adapt meals to work around limitations.
- Life Enrichment: Feeling successful is important for allowing adults with Alzheimer’s to maintain their quality of life. Days that are structured with life enrichment programs and wellness activities are key. Most memory care programs offer fitness activities like morning stretch and Chair Yoga, in addition to arts, crafts, music and more.
Choosing A Memory Care Program
In addition to those factors listed above, other items families may want to consider when selecting a memory care program include:
- Easy Access for Visitors: Grapevine is conveniently located near the north entrance of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. This makes it easier for far away loved ones to visit. The community is also easy to access via State Highways 114 and 121.
- Medical Facilities Nearby: Having quick access to quality medical facilities is often important to families who are evaluating memory care options. The Grapevine area has much to offer including almost 90 hospitals in and around the city. They include Baylor Regional Medical Center and Presbyterian Hospital.
How Much Does Memory Care in Grapevine Cost?
Because these communities have specialty caregivers, dedicated dining programs and life enrichment programming, memory care costs are a little higher than traditional assisted living. Families in Grapevine should be prepared to spend between $4,000 and $7,000 a month depending upon the support and amenities the community offers.
We Can Help You Find a Memory Care Program
The Senior Living Specialists has the most experienced team of senior care advisors in north Texas. As a locally-based organization, we know and understand area memory care communities well. Contact us today for help with your search for memory care!
Senior Living Specialists is a free service for seniors and their families. We are compensated by a referral fee when a senior moves into a community or care home.